PRODUCT DESIGN & MANUFACTURING ENGINEER / PROJECT MANAGER
Highly skilled and versatile senior design engineer with 20+ years' experience looking for product design and development roles. Adept at conceiving and developing innovative, appealing designs and turning them into manufacturing reality and profitable products. Self-motivated, methodical, detail oriented and energetic multitasker with passion for design. Works well both independently and as a team member or project team lead. Seeking to engage in new challenges and learning experiences, while delighting customers, mentoring others, furthering my professional growth and the growth of the organization.
Working for small companies has allowed full mastery of the design and manufacture process from product conception through
release in the marketplace, while active involvement in all phases has provided me with a broad and comprehensive skill set. My
experience combined with business acumen allows me to help solve strategic business problems and manage cross-functional
20+ years of project management / lead designer experience
Making products that fulfill the required function and appeal to the potential customer at correct price point
Realizing product opportunities (improving existing products or creating product innovations)
Product creation using hand sketches and SolidWorks CAD/CAE
Brainstorming conceptual ideas to iterate to better product solution
Hands-on prototype creation and internal/external testing in models and cadavers
Performing prototype iterations with necessary course correction activities based on results
Optimize design for manufacture using DFM, DFA and DFS principles and best practices
New Product Introductions (NPI)/transferring prototype designs smoothly from R&D to manufacturing
Managing cross-functional product design/manufacturing teams
CONCERT MEDICAL (Theragenics Inc - Medical device design & manufacture) - NORWELL MA 2020 - Present
Senior Product Design and Manufacturing Engineer
Design and manufacture a wide range of equipment to produce Cardiology and Neurological guidewires. In charge of ensuring new products are DFM and DFA whilst maintaining high quality. In addition, support all phases of existing product life cycles, performing design improvements and cost reductions.
Rehired to perform upgrades to highly successful Profile Grinder equipment I designed and manufactured over 20 years ago. Even after manufacturing over 3 million wires the equipment is still competitive today and worthy of updating.
MEDROBOTICS INC - RAYNHAM MA 2017 - 2020
Senior Product Design and Manufacturing Engineer / Project Manager
Design surgical instruments and support equipment for robotic surgery. Transition surgical solutions from R&D to production.
Ensure DFM, DFA and DFS whilst maintaining a high quality, reliable and low-cost manufactured product. In addition, support all
phases of existing product life cycles, performing design improvements and cost reductions.
Lead product designer managing one mechanical designer/drafter on pioneering robotic surgical instrument support to allow deeper colorectal surgical procedures and use of a wider range of instruments and products.
Lead product designer / project manager overseeing three people on redesign of robotic arm. New arm performed better, was easier to manufacture and cost 20% less to produce.
Perform Design Failure Mode Effects Analysis (DFMEA) and Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (PFMEA) to allow robotic arm changes to be transferred into production.
Provide direction and mentorship for interns, peers and colleagues
CONCERT MEDICAL LLC (formerly Accellent Inc., medical device design & manufacture) — Norwell, MA2005 - 2017
Senior Product Design & Manufacturing Engineer
New product concept development and transition from R&D to production. Performed design revisions and cost reduction through
better manufacturing and outsourcing to add quality and value. Supported all phases of product life cycle.
- Career highlight — Co-inventor of patented design for lap joint for wire hybrid stainless steel and nitinol guidewire (Patent US US20070282270A1). This challenging metal joint allowed the company to sell its own hybrid wire without having to pay royalties for the use of a competitor's patented joint design.
- Career highlight — Co-inventor of patented regional anesthesia infusion device to aid surgeons during surgical procedures.
(Patent US US10420882B2) This high-volume single-use device required extensive design optimization to achieve the
necessary low selling price. Strategic outsourcing to China was also necessary. This device allowed surgeons to perform
nerve blocks without a nurse's assistance reducing hospital operating costs.
(formerly Microspring Inc., Medical device design & manufacture
) — Norwell, MA 1999 - 2005
Senior Lead Design & Manufacturing Engineer
Served as project manager / lead for cross-functional team of six incorporating technicians, machinists, electronics engineers and
draftsmen. Managed resource allocations, budgets, and milestone adherence for many projects some of which are outlined below.
- Career highlight — Co-designed and developed Urology Stone Cone lithotripsy prototype device with transfer of prototype device from R&D to production.
- Career highlight — Co-designed and manufactured a specialized corewire to allow a built-in blood pressure sensor to be embedded in it. Helped transition this prototype design into production.
- Career highlight — Designed lean manufacturing fast changeover tooling for grinders, reducing setup times by 60%.
(Medical device design & manufacture
) — Norwell, MA 1996 - 1999
Lead Design Engineer
- Career highlight — Project Manager/Lead Design Engineer of a 20-member cross-functional team with a capital budget of $1,000,000 to design and manufacture 7 State-of-the-art Precision Guide Wire Grinding Machines and coolant filtration system. The equipment ground precision shapes in 0.014" Diameter stainless steel and Nickel titanium wire to 0.001" +/-
0.0001". Project completed on time and on budget and still in operation today. This inhouse production capability was a pivotal growth point for company and increased guidewire sales by 200%.
- Career highlight — Project manager responsible for setting up climate-controlled grinding facility for state-of-the-art grinders and all necessary support equipment. In charge of builders, electricians and HVAC contractors and facilities personnel. Facility was completed on time.
Process engineer responsible for optimizing grinder performance. Reduced nickel titanium machining time by 50% and down time by 25% utilizing high performance customized super abrasive grinding wheels.
Responsible for setting up and organizing production grinding department during startup phase.
In charge of performing equipment IQ/OQ/PQ for grinders and support equipment.
EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS
Loughborough University - Leicestershire, England, UK
BSc (Hons) Design and Manufacture Engineering
Loughborough University - Leicestershire, England, UK
Diploma in Industrial Studies
Mass Art - Boston, MA
Industrial Design Continuing Education Class Credits
American Management Association, Certificate in Business Management